Seeking an Internship
Completing at least one internship should be on the "to do" of every single student at Luther College. These short-term (they can last a month, semester, or summer), career-related experiences can help you clarify your career goals, equip you with relevant experience and skills, and help separate you from the competition when applying for work, graduate school, or other selective opportunities (e.g., fellowships) after graduation.
All international students are strongly encouraged to consult with a career counselor to discuss how to go about identifying and applying for an internship. Additionally, all international students who participated in an internship within the U.S. are required to register for academic credit. In collaboration with the Diversity Center staff, we will ensure that you have filed the appropriate forms allowing you to participate in an internship. To begin your search, please review the links within the Internship Program portion of our web site as well as the links below.
* Bolded links require a username and password. Contact the Career Center for login information.
- Freeman ASSIST - The Freeman ASSIST Program, generously sponsored by the Freeman Foundation, offers educational allowances to outstanding undergraduate students from East and Southeast Asia who are pursuing summer internships in the U.S. nonprofit sector
- American Institute for Physics will help show off your talents to some of the world's most prestigious high-tech firms and universities
- ArtSEARCH provides internship listings with a variety of organizations in both the visual and performing arts.
- Association for Corporate Growth Intern Exchange (Denver, CO) offers a clearinghouse to match opportunities for paid and unpaid internships for students in the Denver metro area.
- Association for International Practical Training non-profit organization that promotes international understanding through cross-cultural, on-the-job, practical training exchanges for students and professionals
- Back Door Jobs guide to short-term job adventures
- CDS International Internships founded in order to develop more opportunities for Americans to gain international practical trainin
- e-Scholar Internship Program Website sponsored by the federal government that lists numerous internship programs.
- Environmental Career Opportunities offers a wide range of internship opportunities all within the environmental field (including education, conservation, advocacy, and policy).
- Environmental Research check out Eartchwatch. This institute engages people worldwide in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment. Internships and job availability can be found at their web site.
- Idealist directory of non-profit and volunteering resources on the web
- Institute for Experiential Learning work in the nation's capital, investigate a career, meet today's leaders, and participate in an experience that will enrich your life, while earning college credit
- Intern Abroad search for paid and volunteer, academic and non-academic internships, as well as college credit practical training programs around the world
- International Internships Directory is an excellent reference guide for students seeking international internship opportunities offered by two- and four-year colleges and universities, governmental agencies, non-profit groups, private organizations, and corporations.
- International Internship Links compiled by the University of Denver.
- Internships.com provides a very thorough listing of internships across the U.S. in virtually all academic majors/disciplines. Students will be asked to create an account to view application instructions.
- Internships USA one of the largest internship sites with information from over 3,000 organizations with internships for college students in international affairs, women's rights, media, sports, politics, human rights, history, social service organizations, advertising, state parks and more.
- Internship Programs search by company, region, and field.
- Library of Congress Provides a wide range of interesting internship opportunities including experiences for students interested in public policy research.
- Magazine Publishers of America (MPA) list of magazine internship programs
- National Assembly has partnered with idealist.org to showcase job and internships opportunities with National Assembly member organizations
- Internships.com offers up-to-date listings of internships in various geographic regions, part- or full-time, with public and private organizations, and seasonal or year-round opportunities that are paid and unpaid.
- Publication careers - site for helping you search for full-time and internship positions in the publishing industry
- Resort Intern Connections bringing together the best and brightest students from across the country and joining them with the best forward thinking, dynamic organizations in the resort, travel, and tourism fields in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
- Smithsonian Institution Internships opportunities for research and study
- TV Jobs Broadcast Employment Services internship information
- U.S. State Department Internships get experience in foreign affairs working in Washington, DC, or an embassy overseas
- University of Minnesota-Morris has a great internship database that is open to the public
- Washington Center provides internship programs and academic seminars