The Luther College Career Center hosts a number of career fairs throughout the year here in Decorah, Iowa. These events provide students with the opportunity to meet and speak with representatives from various employers from around the region and country. For students seeking employment, they will find great benefit in attending the fall and spring career fair as well as the volunteer/non-profit fair held annually in the fall.
For the most recent dates, times, and locations for the upcoming career fairs, please check the Career Center's Calendar of Events.
Preparing for and making the most of a career fair...
- Obtain a list of the participating organizations prior to the day of the event in order to research more about them (participant lists are available from the Career Center the Monday before the event).
- Polish your resume and prepare 15 to 20 copies on quality paper to be ready to hand out.
- Develop questions for each organization with which you plan to speak.
- Attend the "Career Fair Strategies" workshop hosted by the Career Center.
- Polish your shoes and prepare a nice outfit to wear.
- Prepare a "30 second" commercial to introduce yourself to employers (in addition to your name, consider telling them where you're from, what you've been studying, and what type of opportunities you are looking for).
- A good opening line might be as simple as, "Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to come to campus to speak with us. We really appreciate it." A little courtesy can go a long way.
Questions to ask employer representatives...
- I have done some preliminary research about your organization. Can you tell me more about the types of opportunities for which you recruit college graduates?
- What can you tell me about your hiring process?
- What types of students are you seeking?
- How would you describe your organization's culture? In essence, what is it like to work there?
- For the position you just described to me, can you tell me what a typical day might look like?
- What type of training does your organzation provide?
- After today's event, what is your recruiting timetable and what is the best way for me to keep in touch with you?