Festival Overview and Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Festival repertoire, and how do schools obtain it?
Once the rosters have been set for the Festival Choir and the Chamber Choir, lists will be sent to Kephart’s Music Center, here in Decorah. Music packets will be assembled there for each school, based on the students selected from that school. One copy of each piece will be sent for each student, along with one copy of each piece for the school director. The school will be billed directly by Kephart’s for the music sent. Payment to Kephart’s for the music must be separate from the payment to Luther College for the Festival fees.
Unused music may be returned to Kephart’s for a full refund (minus postage) according to the time schedule which will be included in the music shipment.
Some schools may already have a Festival selection in their school library. Music packets will be assembled in full for each school, with the understanding that unneeded music may be returned. Many schools are making it possible for participating students to keep their Festival music, however, so it doesn’t make a difference if the music is already in the school library or not.
2012 Dorian Vocal Festival repertoire
1. Credo (from Mass in c minor) – W. A. Mozart, arr. Gibbons (SATB)
2. The Seal Lullaby – Eric Whitacre (SATB)
3. Faithful Over a Few Things – Glenn Edward Burleigh (SATB)
4. Hark, I Hear the Harps Eternal – Craig Carnahan (TTBB)
5. The bike let loose – Edie Hill (SSAA)
1. To the Mothers in Brazil, Salve Regina – Janssen & Ericksson
2. The Ground (from Sunrise Mass) – Ola Gjielo (SATB)
3. Oh Lord, In Thee Have I Trusted – G. F. Handel (SATB)
- When are the Festival concerts and how are tickets obtained?Sunday, 7:00 P.M. (Main Hall, CFL) Featured Guest Choir: Roseville, Minnesota High School Concert Choir -...
- What is the Festival repertoire, and how do schools obtain it?Once the rosters have been set for the Festival Choir and the Chamber Choir, lists...
- What is the Chamber Choir, and who is in it?100 members, selected from entire Festival Choir membership Members will begin rehearsal at noon on Saturday,...
- Who is in the Festival Choir, and how are they nominated?Approximately 1,200 singers from approximately 360 schools Juniors and seniors are nominated by their school directors Membership...
- What is the cost for the Festival?Festival Fees: Once the roster is selected, registration/participation fees will be due from each participating...
- Where do students and directors stay during the Festival?On-campus student housing may be requested by schools farther than 50 miles from Decorah. Students will...
- What is the optional Solo/Mini-lesson?Student sings one piece for a Luther voice faculty member in a 10-minute private session. Solo...