Luther Swimming Elite Camps I & II
Elite Camp I: June 4-8, 2013
Elite Camp II: June 10-14 2013
Grades 9-12 (Maximum enrollment: 50)
Full Resident: $410 (all meals, housing, materials)
Commuter: $250 (materials only — no meals)
Both Elite Camp I & II: $750 (all meals, housing, materials)
Both Elite Camp I & II Commuter: $500 (materials only — no meals)
Application deadline Elite Camp I: May 30, 2013
Application deadline Elite Camp II: June 6, 2013
Additional camp information: Registration, checkin and checkout information, camp regulations, refund policy, and what to bring to camp
Camp Director: Lance Huber
- Twelfth year as head coach.
- Named Iowa Conference Coach of the Year for both men and women in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Named Liberal Arts Championships Coach of the Year in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- The Norse men have captured eight of nine Iowa Conference championships, while the women have won seven straight titles since 2005.
- In 2009, the men's team captured its fifth consecutive Liberal Arts Championship.
- In 2012, the women's team claimed its seventh consecutive Liberal Arts title and eighth in school history, the first coming in 2005.
- In 2008 the women's team finished eleventh at the national championships and the men's team finished 30th.
- Joined Luther after two years as head coach at Cumberland College, where he coached 46 NAIA All-Americans.
- Earned 12 NCAA Division II All-American honors while competing for the University of South Dakota.
Along with Coach Huber, additional camp staff will be composed of Luther College swimming team members.
Camp Goals: Elite I & II
Campers will learn training and technique methods developed by the Luther swimming team and Coach Lance Huber. While divided into sprint, mid-distance, and distance groups, campers will participate in workouts used by the Luther swimming team. Other areas covered will be dry-land training, nutrition for swimmers, and race preparation through the use of psychological skills (mental imagery). All campers will have significant opportunities for technical and cardiovascular growth. Camp staff will also use underwater video for monitoring and correcting swim strokes rather than working only on drills and technique. Elite camp will be developed for the campers to get an advanced boost to their training.
A continuation of Elite Camp I and also available for those unable to make Camp I. Camp II will give an even stronger boost to training and a competitive edge.
Campers must have experience swimming all four competitive strokes (backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, and freestyle). A minimum of three years of competitive swimming (USS, YMCA, and/or high school) is required. Questions about ability for the elite camp should be directed to Coach Huber.
|6:30-8 a.m.||Training session (advanced group)|
|9:30-11:30 a.m.||Filming / technique|
|11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:30-3:30 p.m.||Filming / technique / technique talk|
|3:30-6 p.m.||Training Session|
|7-9 p.m.||Evening activities|
Housing and Meals
Campers live in a comfortable, air-conditioned residence hall on the Luther campus and eat in the Dahl Centennial Union dining hall. College athletes serve as camps counselors and provide full supervision and help direct all camp activities. Medical services for campers are available through local clinics, as well as the emergency room at the Winneshiek Medical Center. Individual campers are responsible for any medication, and hospital and physician fees.
Luther College Sports Facilities
Regents Center indoor facilities include six tennis courts; a six-lane, 200-meter track; six full-sized basketball courts; 25-yard, six-lane swimming pool; locker, training, and equipment rooms. The Legends Fitness for Life Center offers a strength and fitness facility with its own climbing wall. The outdoor facilities include 12 tennis courts, a cross country race course, fitness trails, and an all-weather track, which was installed in the fall of 2009.
For more information, please contact: