Break Closing Procedures
All halls close at 7:00 pm on the last day of classes each semester
Before Christmas and spring break a checklist along with a closing information memo is distributed to each residence hall room. Students are expected to:
- Leave room clean and orderly
- Empty your trash
- Disconnect all electrical appliances, including refrigerators, so nothing (except aquariums) is plugged into a socket
- Close and lock windows
- Close drapes
- Unplug, defrost, empty and clean refrigerator (leave refrigerator door open)
- (Towers and Farwell only) set thermostat to 60 degrees, fan on low
- (Brandt, Ylvi, Olson, and Larsen only) close vent in heating unit
- Turn off lights
- Lock the door
- Tape the checklist/form to the outside of the room door
Note: There will be a $25 fine for each article of public area furniture found in student rooms.
Students are not permitted to remain in the residence halls during the two official college breaks (Christmas break and spring break). For the safety of students, the buildings are locked during these breaks and students do not have access to their rooms or possessions.
Students who need to be on campus at any time during these two breaks are expected to register with the Residence Life office and to make their own arrangements for housing in one of the following buildings: Miller Hall, Dieseth Hall, Baker Village, College Apartments, Norby House, the Sustainability House and all three Prairie Houses. Students who live in these buildings may stay in their own rooms; all other students approved to remain on campus must find someone who lives in one of the named buildings to stay with. Only students that have registered with the Residence Life office will be given access to these buildings.
During all other academic breaks, residence halls will remain locked for student safety, but will be accessible to residents assigned to those buildings with their building access key or ID card.