The Luther College community is concerned about the impact we, as individuals and as an institution, have on the environment. As citizens of an earth community, it is our obligation to identify problems which militate against a sustainable future and to implement viable solutions to those problems. In support of the movement towards an environmentally sustainable future, we commit ourselves to the following goals:
1. To identify environmental pollution and degradation taking place on campus and to institute environmentally sound operations.
2. To work in collaboration with the Decorah community and other organizations to assist in finding solutions to environmental problems.
3. To affirm and expand the Luther College community’s commitment to recycling, waste reduction, and resource conservation.
4. To forge collaboration among departments, faculty, and students to develop curricula, interdisciplinary approaches, research initiatives, and outreach activities that address the issues surrounding an environmentally sustainable future.
5. To encourage all departments to explore environmental issues in relation to their respective disciplines, with the larger aim of providing all students with the information and understanding needed to become ecologically responsible citizens.
Adopted May 1998